Monday 11 February 2008

Reasons the post below might be boring

When you have a dream, it doesn’t do any good to tell all the details to another person. They won’t understand. A dream is only interesting to the person who dreams it; there’s never a way to convey what was interesting about it to someone outside the dreamer’s brain. If you decide that you need to tell someone about a dream, concision is key. Stick to the highlights and keep it as short as possible.

“I had the weirdest dream last night. I dreamed I was sailing in a boat with my father, and then he turned into my 5th grade art teacher, and we were eating asparagus, and then the boat turned into a disco from the 70s and a monkey was trying to lick my armpits! It was so weird! What do you think it means? Wasn’t that so weird? It was so weird.”

That does not work. No one wants to hear all those details. All dreams are weird; this one is not particularly weird enough to warrant retelling. No one wants to help you figure out what it could possibly mean.

“I dreamed that a monkey was trying to lick my armpits.”

That works. That is a story that people can get behind.

By Kevin Fanning of whygodwhy.com, via this site http://www.notablewords.com/archives/whygodwhy

No comments: